Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Playing Catch-up Once More...

Mercy!  It's been six months since I posted!  Here's some of what I've done...

Back in July, I began working with a group of scholars at our local charter school.  With the support of the community, we now have a sewing club at Furlow Charter School.  The local school district ceased teaching home economics several years ago, and donated about 20 sewing machines to our club.  Individuals from the community also donated fabric and funding to the cause. 

Since the school is founded on principles such as service to others, the scholars made items for local children in foster care at Christmas.  They made pj shorts, pillowcases, stuffed animals and tote bags.


We hope to take up simple quilting soon!


Hurricane Irma came through our area back in the fall.  We were spared significant damage, but were without power for several days.  When power was restored, I started making improv scrappy blocks with solids, which became this quilt named Irma.  Our lives were topsy turvy for a few days; this quilt feels that way to me.  


At Christmas, I was privileged to make a few things for a little girl in foster care.  Since I only have boy grandchildren, it was especially fun to sew for a little girl.  I had the best time making the little rag doll and matching dresses for the child and the doll!  It was like I couldn't stop; I made 5 matching outfits!  I NEED a granddaughter!


After Christmas, I finally got around to making my husband's Harley Davidson tshirt quilt.  He's been waiting 3 years for me to get around to it!


As I write this, I'm almost finished with three Harley Davidson quilts for a friend's daughter.  The daughter lost her husband in a motorcycle accident in November.  The quilts are for their young children and her inlaws, for Valentine's Day.   




Last, but not least, I wanted to share a quilt I made for a silent auction supporting the local Smith Smarr Foundation.  The Foundation was created following the tragic loss of two young police officers in our community.  The foundation raises funds to support local law enforcement.


No comments:

Post a Comment