Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The First Lulu Quilt

 
 
When my mom passed away eleven years ago, I saved two of her favorite nightgowns.  They were satin-y on the outside and flannel-ish on the inside...  so warm and pretty!  At the time, I didn't know what I'd do with them; I just loved them and wanted to hold onto them.
 
When we found out that my brother's oldest daughter would soon have the first great-grandchild in the family, I knew what to do with those gowns...  I'd make quilts so the great-grandchildren would have a piece of their Lulu.  Mom's name was Coy Lou; her "grandma name" was Lulu.
 
Pictured above is my lovely niece, Rachel, with the first Lulu quilt, made for her son Nolan.  The satin-y circles are from one of mom's gowns.  The other circles are white minky and an aqua gingham.  The background fabric is Kona snow.  I bound it with the gingham. For the life of me, I can't remember what I used for the back!  I'll have to ask Rachel...
 
I had a "ball" making this quilt!  (Sorry; couldn't resist!)  I appliqued the circles by machine using a blanket stitch.  The quilting was done in concentric circles around the appliques, and then echoed to fill the rest of the negative space.  The photo was taken at a funny angle so the quilt looks very narrow.  It is actually about 36" by 45."



No comments:

Post a Comment