Monday, October 27, 2014

Winn's Baby Quilt




Recently, I was commissioned to create a baby quilt for the newborn son of an avid fisherman.  The client asked that the baby's name be embroidered on the quilt and selected the fishing bear applique. She left the rest up to me.  I LOVE it when that happens!

Color selection came first.  Lately, while perusing Pinterest for nursery ideas (I have another grandson on the way!), I've noticed gray being used in nurseries.  It's a great departure from the traditional pinks and blues, in my opinion!

With the fishing theme in mind, aqua blue seemed the natural choice for a secondary color.  I'm in love with the combination of colors!



This quilt began with strips of varying widths ranging from about 3" to about 7".  No pattern here...  if you follow my blog, you know I rarely use a pattern.  Too many rules!

Next, the appliques were added: the bear, the baby's name on an oval patch, and two trout. That bear is so cute!


Then came my favorite part, the quilting!  I used my midarm quilter for the free motion quilting, which included some wavy lines to resemble water and pebbling to resemble, well, pebbles in the water.  I also quilted the outlines of several trout "swimming" across the quilt. 



The quilt is backed in the aqua and white crosshatch fabric and bound with one of the gray prints.  

Making it was tons of fun!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment