Thursday, January 15, 2015

Catching Up!

Mercy!  I just realized it's been nearly three months since I posted!  I kept meaning to catch up, but I guess life got in the way....

Anyhow, I've completed several quilts/quilted items in the past couple months, most of which were Christmas commissions.  I also did a few charity quilts and wall hangings AND some things for a crafts show. Plus I made several quilted Christmas gifts...

NOW I remember why I haven't posted:  TOO BUSY SEWING!

Here are SOME as finished products...  sorry, no in-process pics were taken.





I made 2 sets of these scrappy strip placemats for Christmas gifts.  (This is my daughter's dining room.)  I also made but never photographed a set of solid woodgrain-quilted placemats and a runner for Christmas gifts.  Both sets were reversible.  WHY didn't I take pics???


This is one of the commissioned memory quilts.  It was for Pat Spann,  a local restaurant/pub owner, using tshirts representing the 30-plus years he's been in business. This quilt measured 110" square; the largest I've ever done!  I had a blast doing this one; it brought back lots of memories!  I've whiled away quite a few hours there, beginning way back in high school, when my dad forbade me to go!  In fact, it was there that my hubby asked me out for the first time...







Here's another memory quilt commissioned by two daughters of a departed Harley rider, for their mom.  Each shirt was from a different state.  I can't wait for us to have time to really travel on my husband's Harley and collect shirts like these!






And another memory quilt...  This was for my husband's cousins, whose sister lost her battle to breast cancer a couple years ago.  They presented the quilt to their parents for Christmas.  This was a bit of a challenge, as it combined tshirts and woven blouses.









Here are a couple of the charity quilts.  They were small; about crib size.

         
Baby quilts...  The golf themed one was a commission; the modern one was for a dear girlfriend of our daughter.  The modern one has wood grain quilting I learned from Lori Kennedy at The Inbox Jaunt. http://theinboxjaunt.com/2014/11/18/woodgrain-a-free-motion-quilt-tutorial/.  She posts new tutorials daily.


I made OLAF just for fun; had been wanting to play around with strip piecing and quilting with wavy lines. I learned wavy lines from Megan at Canoe Ridge Creations.
http://sewsweetness.com/2011/09/back-to-school-free-motion-and-other.html.   I also quilted in some snowflakes.

This next two items were for ME!

I did the pillow cover out of suede cloth; my first attempt at quilting feathers in a circular pattern.   I learned (and am still learning) this technique from Ivory Spring.
https://ivoryspring.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/thread-talk-from-my-sewing-machine-37/.


I learned the Icicle Lights quilting design on this embroidered and quilted wall hanging from Leah Day at The Free Motion Quilting Project.  http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-264-icicle-lights.html  I've learned MANY techniques through Leah's blog!   She has a new tutorial nearly every day!

Before Christmas. my sister sent me a picture (below on the left) of a Star of David quilt,.along with a request that I make one for her. http://quiltingafterdark.blogspot.ca/2013/03/star-of-david-finished.html.  When Christie came to visit a few weeks ago, just after Christmas, we made the quilt on the right while our hubbies watched college football.  We hadn't been able to find a pattern, so we used her photo and a 60 degree triangle template to work one out.  Christie counted all those triangles and figured out how many of each color to cut and then laid them out in order for me to sew.  I sewed and she ironed.  We make a pretty good team!  I quilted most of the stippling, but she tried her hand one a small section.  You can't see it, but we quilted a scripture from Zephanaiah 3:17 into the white border...  She did the first 3-4 words and then went home to Alabama, leaving me to finish!  I quilted a simple swirl wave into the blue border. It turned out very nicely, we think!  Thanks to Angelina Kendra for the inspiration!  http://quiltingafterdark.blogspot.ca/


















WHEW!  Now that I'm caught up with blogging, I can go back to sewing.  I'm working on a girly quilt for my daughter in law; can't wait to share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment